Thursday, June 4, 2009

Opening night.

I can't even begin to think of words to describe my opening night...but I'm going to try. First, let me say that being in this show is one of the most incredible experiences ever. I've seen the show 11 times now, and actually being in it last night was the most surreal experience I've ever felt. Yesterday truly changed my life.

I had rehearsal at 12:00 with Jason, our dance captain, and learned both chairs of rock and Thea. It was literally the most information I have ever had thrown at me in 4 hours! But I loved every second of it :) I went back to my dressing room after dinner (about an hour before call time) and just did some yoga to calm myself down, because my excitement was getting the best of me. Everyone started showing up, and everyone was so excited for the show tonight - my opening, Lucas as Melchior, and Krystina last show of 6 as Ilse. We all felt like it was going to be a good one.

I finally get into my costume and go outside to meet Perry to walk on stage. By this point, I'm shaking. We grabbed our mics, grabbed hands, and walked out onto the stage with our fake tickets. I almost started crying. As soon as the usher sat us down - in separate seats - the two girls next to me asked if we wanted to switch so we could sit together. I was absolutely ecstatic that they had no idea we were in the show. We said something stupid like "Oh, we've sat next to each other plenty of times" and they just laughed it off and asked me if this was my first time seeing the show. It was awesome.

Throughout the whole beginning of the show, ever cast member gave me a little look or a pat on the back when no one was looking, and it felt so nice to have everyone supporting me. I hear the music for Touch Me starting, and I can feel my hands starting to shake. I looked over at Julie and she smiled at me, reassuring me that everything's going to be fine. It was time to take my mic out, so I reach into the pouch sewed into my leggings, and set it on my lap. I suddenly feel a pair of eyes glaring at me, and out of my left eye I see the girl sitting next to me, staring at my microphone. I looked across at Julie and Chase and almost started laughing. This girl was freaking out, probably more than me. She had absolutely no idea that I was in the show. Finally, it's my turn to get up, and I'm praying that my shaking legs will hold me. Thank god they did.

It was the most amazing feeling in the world to get up on that chair and sing. Every number kept getting better and better, and by the time Totally Fucked came, I was not nervous at all, just ready to rock out. It was incredible. I actually almost kicked that same girl in the head when I was singing the Blah Blah's and hanging off the bars. We got a huge ovation, and I even saw a man and a woman standing up in the back! We all knew that this show was one to remember, and we worked hard to make it happen. Something happened that has actually only happened once before in Spring Awakening history - on Jonathan Groff's last day. During Purple Summer, the entire audience applauded when Lucas came out through the back door. It was incredible. We all just smiled, and everyone looked over at me at some point, and finally I started crying. I couldn't sing the a cappella section! It was just an overwhelming feeling; honestly, one of the best feelings I've ever felt.
After the show, I went to sign autographs, and this group of kids brought me a gift! It was so nice! I took a picture with them to remember my first Spring Awakening stage door experience. It was an amazing way to end one of the most memorable nights of my life, and I can't wait to do it again tonight. And the next night. And the next night.



Krista

14 comments:

  1. Ahhh Krista I am so happy it was an incredible opening night! I love you so much and can't wait to see you kick ass in DC. I miss you so much already. I love you so much.

    -Lindsa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing with us,
    you have no idea how happy I am for you
    I knew you would do great :)
    Keep having fun

    ReplyDelete
  3. Krista! i'm so glad you had a great opening night! Can't wait to see you in Philly! :)

    -Jane

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tried to tell you the story about the present at the stage door but there was too much going on at once so I'll tell you here.
    When we did the Guilty Ones in St. Louis we got to go to a cast party. The night before the first show, all of us met at the theater to put together some welcome to St. Louis gifts for the cast. We got them lots of crazy stuff, mostly valentines hearts and such, and when we were at the cast party, Krystina thanked us for some puzzle books one of the Guilty Ones had added to the gift. She said that when she is off stage she doesn't really have much to do. So, we got you a coloring book and glitter crayons to keep you busy. I don't know if you noticed, but on the cover, it's not only princesses, it says "Dreams Come True." Not only has your dream come true joining the cast, but many of my dreams have come true trough the support of several cast members and The Guilty Ones. We have been so excited for this trip to come out to Louisville ever since we saw our last show in St. Louis and couldn't believe we were coming on your first day. We were so glad to meet you and to see how nicely you fit into the cast.
    Can't wait to see you again tonight!!!
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is Tory, Katie's friend, and we are SO glad you liked your present!!! You guys all mean so much to us, and I don't think the gift says thank you enough nor does it explain how excited we were to see you up there on stage! We all wish we had talent like yours, and we were all thrilled that you wanted a picture with us.
    If you would like, I baked cupcakes for the cast and we have other gifts from Katie and I and we would love to get them to you guys before the show. We will try to wait outside to catch someone, but we would also like to tell you to "break a leg" tonight!

    Thank you so much for the great things we know you will do and the inspiration you give to us and so many others!

    --Tory Baillie :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Krista!

    This is Arianne, the girl who talked to you and Anthony for a bit at the stage door last night, who Anthony said had been there before! I just wanted to say again that it was a PHENOMENAL show. I'm so happy for you, that you're living your dream like this!! I'm also really jealous, haha. :)
    I was in the front row, and I saw the girl next to you give you a look when you first took out your mic, and I almost started laughing! You did a great job-from the audience, I couldn't tell that you were nervous!

    I also wanted to tell you that last night was the best show I have ever seen. It was truly special. It was electric, and emotional, and just perfect. I'm so glad I was a part of it. There were so many amazing moments, including the moments afte Totally Fucked and during Song of Purple Summer! It re-fueled my fire and passion for theatre, and I just wanted to say thank you for being a part of that. I LOVE THEATRE. Gah!! There's nothing like it.

    Also, I'm actually majoring in theatre, and I am now more determined than ever to be in Spring Awakening before I die. It will happen.

    Haha, sorry about the long comment. I'll see you later this week, I'm sure! Break a leg!!

    -Arianne Villareal

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad you enjoyed your first show! I cannot wait to come see you in DC, and I'm excited to see more of you in the future.

    Break leg tonight!
    - Alyce

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aww. Thats so awesome! I would have love to been there. Hopefully sometime in the near future when the tour comes back close to where I live I will get to see you!

    Glad you had such an awesome time on your opening night and best of luck with the rest of the tour!!

    <3.
    Meranda

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so glad your first night was so incredible! Can't wait to see (& hopefully meet!) you all at DC.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think every fan of Spring Awakening is thrilled for you, Krista! I hope to see you perform in DC :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Krista, this is Allison and Kaitlynn who sat next to you onstage for Louisville's closing performance. Thank you so much for an awesome time! You were really getting into it during the music and just looked like you loved doing that as your job! It looks so fun and I'm so glad you are living your dream!!! We loved talking to you before the show and during intermission. Keep rocking in the awesome chair!! You were amazing and sounded gorgeous during all the songs!! Can't wait to see you in the future!

    <3 Kaitlynn and Allison

    ReplyDelete
  12. That sounds so amazing; thanks for taking the time to describe it all!!

    I can't believe the fun you're having, it's so awesome! I really hope I get a chance to see you.

    Rock on! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey! I was the sitting next to the girl (whom is my sister) that was talking to Chase. You guys were hysterical.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow. I was getting goosebumps listening to your description of your opening night.
    I'm so excited to see the show July 7th with my friend Glynis. We're from Guam and are flying out just to see the show. :D
    I'm so happy for you and cannot wait to see you soon. :D

    ReplyDelete